Before we start
For a Glossary of all terms used in this document please see the Appendices. This document assumes a certain level of technical knowledge and so probably isn’t suited to novice users. If you have problems with the setup of the machine try asking a technical colleague as we understand certain parts of this process may be daunting. We have tried to simplify this documentation as much as possible however some of the underlying concepts are by nature relatively advanced. The Data Toolkit is designed to offer 3 levels of difficulty. Basic concepts which are explained on the main WordPress website. Intermediate concepts in the 4 step data DIY project and advanced in the full usage of the CKAN, Node-Red and Mongo stacks.
The IBM-KWMC Open Data Toolkit has a set of requirements for it’s use. We have tried to keep these to a minimum however they must be adhered to if a functional machine is to be achieved. At the minimum an arts centre MUST be able to source:
- A suitable internet connection – Broadband or higher
- Access to an Amazon Compute account. Amazon provides a free 1 year trial period for all new users. The free tier is capable of supporting the Open Data Toolkit provided by IBM and KWMC on a micro-instance. (t1.micro)
- A Hostname. (This can be self assigned by the Amazon configuration panel – This is explained later in section B OR This can be a bought hostname e.g. datatoolkit.org.uk)
- Time – This machine while it is prebuilt, this machine requires a bit of work on your part to get up and running. This should be explained in this document however patience is required. Some tech savvy may be required
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but is provided AS IS with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. The entire risk as to the quality and performance of the program is with you. Should the program prove defective, you assume the cost of all necessary servicing, repair or correction. In no event will any of the developers, or any other party, be liable to anyone for damages arising out of the use or inability to use the program.
We also cannot be held accountable for any service disruptions to the Amazon Compute Cloud. While the machine is distributed as an Amazon Machine Image, we have no control of compute capacity and availability upon this service.
While this machine has been designed to run in the free tier of the Amazon Compute Cloud (EC2), you must be aware of the limits to this. This is important to ensure you do not run up additional charges using the ser- vice. KWMC cannot be held responsible for any payments to the Amazon Compute cloud and any charges you manage to incur using the service CANNOT be attributed to KWMC. By using this product you agree to this clause.
The EC2 Free tier provides:
- EC2 — 750 hours Linux, RHEL or SLES Micro Instance per month
- Storage — 30GB Disk image (EBS) for EC2 AND 5GB S3 bucket
- Elastic IP — 1 Elastic IP – This is charged when NOT associated with a running instance.